Dedicated To Protecting Your Future
Michael A. Moberly
As a lifelong Alaskan, Mr. Moberly grew up in Southeast Alaska, and attended college Outside (University Of Washington (Fisheries Management) and Willamette University College Of Law), but always with the understanding that he'd return to Alaska permanently.
Focusing on Fisheries as a career, Mr. Moberly worked in positions with state (Alaska Department of Fish & Game - Commercial Fisheries), federal (NOAA - National Marine Fisheries Service) and quasi-governmental (Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission) agencies. He worked for Senator Ted Stevens in Washington, D.C. on Natural Resource and Environmental issues, and for Heller Ehrman White & McAuliffe.
A judicial clerkship at the U.S. District Court brought him to Anchorage, which had a profound effect on his life - it set him on a professional course he'd not considered before. After working briefly in private civil practice, handling corporate/business matters and helping represent a variety of Alaska Native corporations and business, Mr. Moberly became a Felony Trial Attorney at the Alaska Public Defender Agency. He has since been in private practice, initially as a solo attorney and for the past 10 years in the Law Office of Hozubin, Moberly & Associates.
Mr. Moberly's professional associations include twice serving on the Board of Governors for the Alaska Bar Association (1998-2000 and 2010-2016), and as President of the Bar Association from 2013-2014. He has been on the Alaska Bar's Disciplinary Committee since becoming admitted to practice in 1996, and has served as Special Bar Counsel and presented at the Alaska Judicial Conference regarding ethics. He has been a faculty member on a number of Continuing Legal Education courses in areas of criminal defense, motion practice and ethics. He is a member of both the Alaska and National Associations of Criminal Defense Lawyers, a member of the Federal Bar Association (Treasurer 2005-2008) and Anchorage Inn of Court (Secretary 1997-1999).
Mr. Moberly's entire professional career has been in and around courts, both state and federal. The majority of that experience has been assisting individuals navigate the often complex and emotional paths that have brought them to court.
- Willamette University College of Law, Salem, Oregon
- J.D. - 1995
- University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
- B.S. - 1992
- Major: Fisheries Management
Classes & Seminars
- Motion Practice: Strategies, Tactics and Tips, Alaska Bar Association, 2007
- Alaska Judicial Conference - Confronting Attorney Misconduct, Alaska Commission on Judicial Conduct, 2017
- Alaska Network on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, 2014
- Anchorage Youth Court, 1996 to 2003
- City of Tenakee Springs, Alaska
- Greenpeace, Inc.
Fraternities or Sororities
- Phi Kappa Psi
Current Employment Position
- White Collar Crimes
- Environmental Law
- Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- Criminal Defense (State and Federal)
- Alaska, 1996
- Washington, 1995
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rating
- Superlawyers Top 10
- US News and World Report Best Lawyer
- Shell Offshore, Inc. v. Greenpeace, Inc., 722 F.3d 1144, 12-35332
- Rocero v. State, 2016 WL 7422688, A-12081
- Stoner v. State, 2016 WL 1394221, A-12012
- Tocktoo v. State, 2009 WL 3065206, A-9937/A-10227
- Allen v. State, 2001 WL 357133, A-7183
- Alaska Bar Association, President, 2013-2014
- Alaska Bar Association Board of Governors, 2010 to 2016
- Alaska Bar Association Disciplinary Committee, 1998 to Present
- Alaska Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2009 to Present
- Alaska Bar Board of Governors (New Lawyer Liaison), 1998-2000
- Treasurer, Alaska Chapter, Federal Bar Association, 2005 To 2007
- Law Offices of Michael A. Moberly, P.C., Owner, Anchorage, Alaska, 2003 to 2011
- Alaska Public Defender Agency, Misdemeanor Supervisor/Felony Trial Attorney, Anchorage, Alaska, 1999 to 2003